Restylane® Refyne and Defyne
Flexible fillers that move with you
Enjoy the next-generation hyaluronic acid dermal filler designed to help support your skin while keeping you looking like you!
Restylane brand fillers have been used for 16 years. Over time, newer formulations are developed to provide additional uses and even more natural results. These two newly FDA approved fillers have a distinct advantage – outstanding flexibility. Easily used for areas around the mouth where there is a lot of movement and under the eyes.
New technology in filler development
Aren’t fillers pretty much the same? Hyaluronic gels are similar but they are not the same. XpresHAn Technology (pronounced ex-ˈspre-shan – pretend you’re French when pronouncing), has upped the bar on flexibility combined with support. Restylane® Refyne and Restylane® Defyne have been shown to maintain effectiveness for the treatment of laugh lines for up to 12 months.1
Injections with a Physician Trainer
Many doctors may have access to filler products, but only the select are invited to be physician trainers. Dr. Pilest is a certified physician trainer. Other doctors will come to him for training in the use of these new fillers.
Established safety and effectiveness
Both gel fillers have been used outside the U.S. under the name Emervel since 2011 with over 1 million treatments, so safety and effectiveness are well-established. † XpresHAn Technology™ is known as Optimal Balance Technology outside the US. Restylane Refyne is known as Emervel® Classic and Restylane Defyne is known as Emervel® Deep outside the US.
What makes Refyne and Defyne different
These new products are both soft and flexible. Refyne is very flexible with soft support and Defyne is a little less flexible with firmer soft support. Both gels give patients the advantage of extremely natural facial movement in the injected areas. Although HA gels tend to be quite soft, the products used for deep support have tended to be a little “stiffer” and could inhibit facial flexibility while smiling when larger volumes are required.
What you’ll like most
- Softness (acts and feels like skin)
- Support and Lift
- Natural expression
- Long-lasting effect
Approved uses of restylane family of fillers
Restylane® and Restylane-L® are for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Restylane® and Restylane-L® are also indicated for injection into the lips in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine is for deep implantation into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds and for cheek augmentation and for the correction of age-related midface contour deficiencies in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Silk is for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral wrinkles in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Refyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Defyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe deep facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, in patients over the age of 21.
Are there any reasons why I should not use products within the Restylane® family?
To ensure a safe procedure, your doctor will talk to you about your medical history to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for treatment. You should not use products within the Restylane family if:
- You have severe allergies with a history of severe reactions (anaphylaxis)
- You are allergic to lidocaine or to any of the gram-positive bacterial proteins used to make hyaluronic acid
- You are prone to bleeding or have been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or trying to become pregnant. The safety of these products for use during pregnancy, or in women who are breastfeeding, has not been studied
- Restylane, Restylane-L, Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine, Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne are intended to treat facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Restylane and Restylane-L are also intended for lip enhancement. Treatments in other areas of the face have not been evaluated in clinical studies.
- The safety and effectiveness of Restylane® Silk for areas other than the lips and perioral area have not been evaluated in clinical studies
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of scarring, particularly thick and stiff scars, or any pigmentation (skin color) disorders. These side effects can occur with hyaluronic acid fillers in general.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning other laser treatments or a chemical peel, as there is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if these procedures are performed after treatment
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection with these products may be at a higher risk for side effects
- Tell your doctor if you are on any medications to decrease your body’s immune response (immunosuppressive therapy). Using these medications may increase your risk of bruising or bleeding at the gel injection site.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any “blood thinners” such as aspirin, warfarin, or any other medications that affect bleeding. Using these medications may increase your risk of bruising or bleeding at the gel injection site.
- The use of these products on gel injection sites with skin sores, pimples, rashes, hives, cysts, or infections should be postponed until healing is complete. Use of product in these areas could delay healing or make your skin problems worse.
- Data on file. Galderma Laboratories, L.P. Optimal treatment is the amount of filler required to achieve the best effects. Patients who opt for less than optimal treatment amounts may experience a lesser correction effect with a shorter duration. Restylane was shown to have an overall duration of effectiveness of 18 months from baseline following retreatment at 4.5 or 9 months.
Call for additional information or a Consultation with Dr. Pilest (949) 727 3800
Dr. Nissan Pilest is a member of the distinguished Expert Injector collaboration and holds the Circle of Excellence in Soft Tissue Fillers through the American Society of Dermatologic Surgeons. Dr. Pilest performs all injections for dermal fillers and neuromodulators at Total Dermatology.
If you would like to learn more about Restylane® Refyne and Defyne, please call our office at 949.484.8660 today to schedule a consultation or fill out the form on this page and one of our trusted staff members will reach out to you promptly.