Cosmelan Depigmentation Treatment
Peel Performed In-Office Only
Cosmelan is a multi ingredient prescription-only, power-level treatment program for reduction and control of brown spots, skin discoloration and hyperpigmentation. Cosmelan has been used for many years both here and abroad and achieves some of the highest levels of pigment reduction available in a topical formulation.
“I love the difference! I feel more confident, even without makeup on. I am so glad I came to Dr. Pilest’s office and had this procedure.” Chandra Krout (Cosmelan)
Cosmelan is a time-tested and successful treatment for skins of all types and ages. Skin discoloration bothers a huge percentage of the population in Southern California. Lifting pigmentation and keeping pigment formation under control is the dual goal of Cosmelan – and it works!
Why Cosmelan is effective & safe
Cosmelan Depigmentation treatments are very effective in the improvement of dark patches and brown skin blemishes with a very high safety margin. The unique blend of ingredients does not rely on hydroquinone – making the system appropriate for nearly every skin type.
Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment actions are based on the prevention, reduction and blending of melanin patches on the face (melasma and chloasma). The unique ingredients accelerate cell turnover, “pushing” present pigment cells to the surface where they are sloughed off.
Cosmelan will cause noticeable peeling and redness in the first 3 to 5 days. We recommend beginning your treatment near the end of the week so the major peeling is experienced over the weekend when you will not be in school or at work. You MUST protect your skin from sun exposure to get the full benefits of this program. A full spectrum sunblock will maximize your treatment success and help prevent pigmentation return.
“All skins” Advantages
- Very efficient in all types of melasma and pigmentation problems
- Improvement can be seen in some in as little as two weeks
- Compatible with light and dark skin types (Fitzpatrick I – VI)
- Peeling accelerates pigmentation blending
- Treatment can begin and be used all year round
- Very effective for acne patients
- Variable levels of hydroquinone
- Includes retinoic acid for cell turnover and renewal
- High safety margin
Active ingredients – Cosmelan® Pack
Cosmelan 1 – Cream (10g)
Retinoic Acid, Azelaic Acid, Kojic Acid, Phytic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Arbutine, Licorice Extract, Salicylic Acid, Retinol Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopherol, Bisabolol, Allantoin, Nicotonomide, Alo Babadensis, Titanium Dioxide
Cosmelan 2 – Maintenance Cream (30g)
Titanium Dioxide, Kojic Acid, Phytic Acid, Ascorbic Acid
mesoestetic® Hydra Vital Factor K Cream (50ml)
Hydro nutritional cream for face and neck. Hydroviton, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, Amniotic fluid, Glycerine, Silicone oil.
Preliminary information you need to know
Important: If you have undergone any previous treatments, especially with glycolic acid, these treatments must be completely stopped at least one week prior to using Cosmelan® Depigmentation treatment.
The Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment is only administered in a medical office and support products must be continued at home, on a daily basis, according to the guidelines indicated.
The treatment must not be interrupted under any circumstances, during the whole time prescribed. As melanin production is being suppressed, failure to maintain proper use of sunscreen and your support products may allow reactivation of pigment production cycles.
Cosmelan Depigmentation is NOT TO BE COMBINED with any other depigmentation treatments.
Follow up visits are recommended 15 days after the beginning of treatment, and 30 days after, and a follow up treatment are revisit every month thereafter.
Treatment application – Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment
Application of Degreasing Solution
- Clean skin with water and neutral cleanser.
- Apply Degreasing solution to the whole area to be treated. It will eliminate all impurities and oil from the skin to achieve optimum penetration of Cosmelan® 1 – Cream
Application of Cosmelan® 1 – Cream
- Evenly distribute the cream to form a face mask, applying a thicker layer over blemishes gradually thinning out over the rest of the face.
- The patient goes home with the mask applied based on the Fitzpatrick photo type classification suggested below:
- After the action time has elapsed, the patient must remove the mask with water and a neutral cleanser.
- Following, the patient will immediately apply a layer of mesoestetic® Hydra Vital Factor K Cream over the whole surface treated
Cosmelan post treatment
First and Second day
- During the first three to five days of the treatment, the skin will peel and be red.
- If the skin is very sensitive, the patient may experience an itching feeling.
- Slight burning and tightening of the skin is also absolutely normal, especially during the first few hours right after starting the treatment.
- To relieve these problems, it is advisable to apply the mesoestetic® Hydra-vital factor K whenever necessary.
Reddening of the Skin
The reddening that occurs on the face after applying the mesoestetic® Cosmelan is expected and is normal.
Flaking and Peeling
Flaking and peeling will occur on all skin types (and more intensely in photo types I and II) between the second and third day. In this case it is advisable to apply the Mesoestetic® Hydra-vital factor K cream, repeating this every two hours on the day when the flaking is most intense.
Fifth and Sixth day
After the fifth or sixth day, your skin will be calmer and you should notice some initial fading of pigmentation. When peeling is complete you will notice much smoother skin.
Home Treatment – Cosmelan® 2 Maintenance Cream
- Clean Face completely, every time mesoestetic® Cosmelan 2 is applied.
- Apply a thin layer of mesoestetic® Cosmelan 2 all over face mask style, with a light, circular movement.
- Apply mesoestetic® Hydra-vital factor K to the face and neck with a light, circular motion 15 minutes after applying mesoestetic® Cosmelan 2. Use daily.
For best results, continue the daily application of mesoestetic® Cosmelan 2
up to one year after treatment.