If you’ve got it, you know the thousands of wishes you didn’t. Neck fat is not always caused by excess weight. Many people are well within their ideal weight range and yet still suffer because their genetic makeup deposits fat beneath the chin.
Kybella treatments: 4 Weight Gain: 4 lbs Age: 47
Photos courtesy Allergan. Additional Images
How to Get Rid of Neck Fat
- Fat freezing
Let’s examine those three options. First, we’ll assume the fat is not a direct consequence of being overweight (but even if it is, all options will provide improvements!)
- Requires a surgical procedure and anesthesia. An incision is placed under the chin, and a cannula is pushed into the fat. The fat is suctioned out via strong vacuum pressure and broken up by forceful manual thrusts. It’s not in any way a delicate or gentle procedure. See the video below of an actual chin liposuction treatment by a surgeon in Australia.
- Liposuction patients experience swelling, post-op pain and bruising.
- There is a risk of nerve damage, either temporary or permanent.
- Following liposuction, you’ll have a scar; potentially you’ll have lumps or divots that may be visible, plus you have the risks of infection from the surgery.
- Requires compression bandaging for several weeks.
- Liposuction is a one time procedure.
- Removed fat does not come back.
- Results are generally very satisfactory.
Kybella Double Chin Injections
- Requires multiple visits; 2 or more depending on the amount of fat and how it’s positioned
- Cost is not cheap. Can be more expensive than liposuction depending upon the number of treatments/vials required.
- You will experience temporary swelling and bruising.
- No surgery.
- No anesthesia beyond intradermal numbing.
- Simple procedure.
- Destroyed fat does not come back.
- No scar.
- No need for compression wrapping.
- Most patients are experiencing additional skin tightening, though this is not claimed in studies or as part of the treatment result.
- Learn more about Kybella at Total Dermatology
- Averse to injections? CoolSculpting Mini for under chin fat is a totally noninvasive option.
Kybella is not appropriate for everyone. Call our office at 949 484 8660 and ask to speak with one of our specially trained Patient Advisors for additional information.